Friday 8 March 2013

International Women’s Day and the Lady Fave



I have a friend, let’s call her Isabel (cos that’s her name), or you can call her Bez (cos that is what I call her) once you make friends with her too, and you will want to, she is very ace here’s why.  
Early last year we were having breakfast in Bez’s favourite café in her hood when her friend Katherine came and joined our table for a little bit. When she left I asked Bez who was still fairly new to Sydney how she met such an awesome woman, Bez said two words – Lady Fave. And I have been hooked ever since. 

To explain this is what she posted the other week on her faceberk page: 

“Ladies, if you ever think something nice about someone you really should voice it to that person. Even if it is a complete stranger, just do it. You may feel a little embarrassed at first and your kind comments may not always be appreciated but it doesn't matter. That one nice thought that you have about someone could make their whole week. It's called a Lady Fave and us ladies need to get amongst it and share the lady love. I frequently give Lady Faves, even if I am in the middle of a run and dripping in sweat, I will stop and tell someone I see if I think they look amazing or that their dress is real pretty. I have had a super crapola day today and I just had a colleague, that I don't even know, tell me that I looked amazing and it really made me feel better and put a smile on my face for the first time today.”

What followed underneath that status were 35 comments from other women offering Lady Faves to each other and to Bez, and then promising to share the Lady Faves.  It made my day to read and to share that one little status. 

We are so very quick to cut other women down, we critique their hair, weight, fashion, food, parenting and hell even their coffee choices! How often do you stop a stranger in the street to tell them their dress is gorgeous or the colour they’re wearing makes their eyes stand out or their hair look shinier, or that they’re shoes are just amazing? I’m guessing that it happens rarely, whether we’re too scared to talk to strangers or too busy to stop for a second or perhaps some days we’re so weighed down by the fact that no one says anything nice to us we forget that it can feel just as good to make another smile.

Like attracts like guys, so how about you go offer a Lady Fave to a random person? Heck, it doesn’t even HAVE to be a lady you offer it too, dudes like this stuff too! You may pick up! You make make a friend! Or you may just be the one good thing in that other person’s whole day, and who knows what sort of change that could make to someone! 

And then give one to Bez too cos she's amazing.   

Who knows maybe this will become a "thing"

xxpt

No comments:

Post a Comment