Tuesday 28 June 2016

Notes on a move


We are, i’m sure like many people out there renters. We have worked hard enough to buy a place up the coast as an investment but to live where we work and in the community that we love we just can’t pay upwards of half a mill for little more than a 1br apartment let alone an actual house we fit into! 

So this past fortnight we moved, a new space, new (possibly fewer in number) cupboards, new neighbourhood with a new local cafe and transport and views and trees and even though its really stressful and packing oh my god the packing! and unpacking (which I actually do not mind so much) I think I like finding a new space with new smells and shelves and this place for the first time in 8 years a proper real deal HILLS HOIST! the luxury right..

It does however lack a dishwasher, but you know I discovered that I don’t mind the dishes so much, the hot water and the almost meditative cleaning of each dish. Tc does the ones after dinner but the cooking  dishes the morning dishes the baking dishes are for now at least a novelty and i don’t hate it. I think the heat on my fingers this time of year is a welcome side effect. 

There are things such as we presently have no channel 9.. not having any bloated red faced Eddie or cheque book journo’s 60 minutes is not so bad but no channel 94 and Fixer Upper!!! OMG that will not do! I live for the kitchens that Joanna Gaines creates on a weekly basis. 

The new place does not have to long deep bath or the dishwasher or the built ins or our big beautiful jacaranda tree that our old place had. The floorboards and carpet are replaced with tiles so some rugs are definitely on the to buy list I’m sure that there’s a rug place going out of business somewhere real close by! 

The new place has an amazing lightness the old house missed, it has no shared walls(!) It has a kitchen that does not have a water feature in the rain and an amazing undercover outdoor area that will be great in summer. The oven is new and amazing (fan forced no less!) 

Above all though the new place has the 2 people (& 1 cat) i love more than anything in the world inside it and I guess thats all that really matters.


xxpt 

5 comments:

  1. Helllllooooo you! I had not idea you were blogging but YAY and I got to say g'day here! This is a story of us right now. Sold in Sydney (yes, lucky to have been buying) but once the mortgage was paid out, we did not have enough to buy again here on the Central Coast. However, one day I will have an inheritance to add to some of our leftovers from the sale and we will be able to afford a modest place for 2. Meanwhile we are renting a comfy cottage not dissimilar to the one we sold and we are learning to live in a quiet country-like area in the northern part of the CC. Glad to catch up and read your latest news PT! Denyse #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Den, any blogging I do is very sporadic! But when the mood hits its generally on a Tuesday so I whack it up on Jess's IBOT :) xx

      Delete
  2. It's interesting...I'm contemplating whether to move at the moment. I live in a lovely area of Sydney but I'm sick of the rest of Sydney in terms of traffic, travelling to work and just the busy-ness of it all. I'm contemplating renting out my unit and renting a place either down the coast or up the coast and seeing how the seachange goes before considering making it permanent. BUT...I'm dreading having to move all my stuff --- the packing and unpacking is putting me off it all. Especially given I've been in one place for 7 years now...

    Oh well, have to figure it out. Nice to meet you via IBOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice to meet you too Sanch :) I love my part of Sydney too & luckily i work only a short bus ride from home too. Some workmates spend up to 1.5 hours in the car each way to work and i just could never do it the stress of traffic and just the time spent in the car. Stuff is just the worst to move, I keep thinking of a sea change but I grew up in a small coastal city and I don't think I could go back to the lack of variety of people/food/markets/events.
      Glad to meet you via IBOT too :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that you are enjoying doing dishes! We don't have a dishwasher either, but we never have so I don't know what I'm missing out on!
    Hope you settle in nice and quickly.

    ReplyDelete