Wednesday 11 May 2011

Comforting the Sick (and Whiny)


I am poorly with a flu :(

So
today because I am a nice coworker (unlike the one who infected me) I am at home on the lounge, I watched daytime tv and on Ellen I watched Stevie Nicks perform her 61 year old arse off only to finish and disclose she had PNEUMONIA!!

I am, unlike Ms Nicks, woeful when I am sick it’s ugly I’M UGLY. I whine and I mope around the house, I drink endless pots of peppermint & chamomile tea to try to keep myself warm. I get at least a couple of big hurty pimples which I then pick because I don’t already look bad enough (the current count is four) and my hair decides its a great time to up the oil production ten fold. I sniffle and breathe through my mouth, I stay too long in the shower and snap at my family. Funtimes I can assure you.

I have a uniform when I am sick too it serves both as a warning to my family that I am ill and should then be given a wide berth a cocoon to me.

- a beanie I bought when I was 18 from the Bellingen Markets, the lady I bought it from grew the sheep, spun the wool then knitted the beanie herself it is natural shades of brown she dyed herself and has covered not only my head but doubled as a hand warmer, pot holder, improvised bag and a shrug for a once tiny TC.
- a mans knitted cardigan pilfered from an old flatmate, she later regretted it & even went to the trouble of bribing me with a replacement Mrs Brady style cardigan, she did not succeed. Sorry Spunner I love you but its mine now I hope you understand.
- at least 2 handkerchiefs one to smother in essential oil and the other to blow, hankys are so much nicer that tissues I think, softer on my nose and they remind me of my nan and my Sdad. I am heartened by seeing a young person pull out a hanky to clean their glasses or dab at their nose. Part of it is a dislike of creating waste the other part is finding tissues in the wash and on the coffee table and kitchen bench and the computer desk, you get the idea.. the final part though is that they remind me of these loved ones, in fact when my nana died a lace edged hanky was one of the few things of hers I wanted.
-Vicks on my feet and big thick socks, I don’t know why it works it just bloody does

- a big cup of tea to refill over and over (this one was my mothers day present this year it the exact cup I pointed out to TC in the shop!)
- a mashed potato vegemite and cheese breville, I wish that i still had the breville machine from when I was growing up it wasn’t the triangle one it was rectangles and it made a grub shape on each side alas it died many years ago.

So today I have indulged in many of the above things in an effort to both wallow and feel better. Is there anything that you do to comfort yourself when you are ill?


stay well dudes xxpt

4 comments:

  1. Yay you are here :) Welcome to my world of sick flu like things. I am sitting here as I type with vicks on my neck & a scarf around it plus vicks on my feet with socks on - it so does work - I can't sleep without it when I'm sick. I am about to make a herbal tea now - you made me crave some lemon & ginger tea. Hope you feel better soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh honey, I think it's that time where everyone gets sick.
    I think it has something to do with the change of seasons or something.

    Keep warm and rest up lovely.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that giant teacup! It's quite a bit Alice-y: did the tea cup grow, or did l'il pt shrink?

    You may think you're miserable, but I enjoyed that Feel better x

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks ladies, Annie I am so glad that you can back me on the vicks foot rub as well & I hope you are up to full strength real soon.
    Sass - I agree sickness is everywhere :(
    Twitch - the cup is oversized & its perfect glad I made you smile babe
    xxpt

    ReplyDelete